Skip to content

Philadelphia’s Own ‘High Line’

January 15, 2012

IMG_1430IMG_1524IMG_1534IMG_1444IMG_1514IMG_1478IMG_1500

So you’ve probably seen that elevated railway that runs through Chinatown before. Maybe you even heard it’s relatively easy to get up there to see the city… Well, I had a few plans this past summer to sneak up there with some friends to take some photos for this blog, but shit happened, I’m sure, and  I never got around to it. Until this weekend, that is!!

It’s not to hard to get up there. There’s a small cut in a fence around 10th and Buttonwood (behind Jose’s) and a bit of a hill to climb, but one you’re up there the views are incredible.

The only tip I might have is to go on a warmer day, or just wait till spring. My friend Alex and I spent about an hour up there and by the end of it my feet, thighs, hands, and face were pretty fucking numb… Not so nice. But again, the views and, I hope, these photos make up for it.

Check out more photos from Philadelphia’s ‘High Line’ HERE—>

IMG_1542IMG_1512IMG_1487IMG_1507IMG_1551IMG_1457IMG_1464

About these ads
8 Comments leave one →
  1. January 15, 2012 10:29 pm

word

2. Victoria permalink
    January 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Word is that the city will turn it into a park a couple years from now!

3. January 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Wow, you really just gave out a way to access this on a public site? Do you not see why this is a really bad idea?

• January 17, 2012 2:20 am

I respect your opinion, but for one thing, there are a bunch of ways to get up on that thing… More importantly, I really don’t see the City of Philadelphia reacting to these gaps in fences and the such based on my blog post. I just don’t.

4. January 19, 2012 12:05 am

you have posted street artists and their names and contacts. Have passed on contact info to others doing street art write ups and even philadelphia anti graffiti have commented directly to people who you have posted (not naming names if you wanna know conrad we can talk) so obviously with all the acclaim you have been receiving on the internet and such anti is deff paying attention to your site! i wouldn’t be surprised if that hole in the fence is patched in a few weeks (yes the city constantly patches fences) even if there are a bunch of ways on to that trestle the city will guard against the public knowledge of this singular way. street art in most forms is an illegal activity… if you’re going to shed light on it then you have to respect that fact.

• January 19, 2012 6:30 pm

I’ve only ever post the names and/or websites/Twitter handles of artists with their permission. Ever. I take that part really seriously, as I understand the real possibility of someone getting a fine, or even worse.

That said, perhaps I shouldn’t have said how I got in here. I would really hate it if other people who wanted to couldn’t go up there because I wrote about it. That would really suck. But I’m still not convinced that the city uses this blog as source like that. I guess we’ll see.

Nevertheless, for any more ‘adventures’ I go on, I will not be so specific about details like that.

Thanks for your input.

Trackbacks

1. Inside and on Top of the Divine Lorraine with Lies and Get Up « Streets Dept
  2. Inside Spring Garden’s Soon-To-Be-Demolished Church of the Assumption « Streets Dept