Skip to content

Exploring Limerick, PA’s Abandoned Linfield Industrial Park

September 17, 2013

IMG_6057IMG_6089IMG_5816IMG_5805IMG_58451111IMG_6008

Limerick Township, PA’s Linfield Industrial Park is a sprawling 192 acre multi-use industrial facility that has served many purposes over its near 100-year history, before closing for good in 1986 and being left abandoned ever since – going on 30 years.

While spending its final days as a repackaging and distribution center for antifreeze and ammonia-based cleaners in the 1980s, Kinsey Distillery used the facility for most of the property’s life as a whiskey distillery and warehouse, from about the repeal of prohibition until the 60s, storing what was once the “world’s largest single concentration of aging whiskeys.” (The warehouse was capable of holding more than one million barrels.)

In October 2007, Limerick, PA officials announced their negotiations with several unnamed energy companies to develop the former Linfield Industrial Park. Two potential uses named at that time were a trash-to-ethanol plant and electricity turbine fired by natural gas. But, as you can see, none of those plans, or any others since, have seemed to developed.

See more photos of the abandoned Linfield Industrial Park below, and check out some of the photos my friends have posted to their Instagrams too: Rachel Elizabeth, James Smith and Kyle Harty (also, coincidentally, some of my favorite Philly Instagrammers!)

eeeeIMG_5980IMG_5893IMG_6018IMG_6053IMG_5884IMG_5988IMG_5849IMG_5748IMG_5877IMG_5934IMG_5992IMG_5943IMG_5867IMG_6047IMG_5827IMG_5895IMG_5919IMG_5832IMG_5902IMG_6073

Find more explorations into Abandoned Philadelphia HERE!

21 Comments leave one →
  1. Brian F. McElroy permalink
    May 23, 2014 12:05 pm

Hard to beleive that with all the micro breweries in PA that none have considered making this site a joint venture for brewing use.

2. TAK permalink
    September 16, 2014 1:37 pm

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures. My mother lived in a house on the Kinsey Distillery grounds from around 1955-1965? when she was a girl. Her father worked there. She cries when she sees what it looks like now. I would like very much to visit.

• Rob Zucca permalink
      February 14, 2015 3:56 pm

My father worked there also. He lived ion the property in a beautiful 1790 home on the river. I have fond memories of that place in the summer in the late sixties. A satellite view shows what’s left of the barn in about the middle of the wooded loop of the river below the plant. Breaks my heart.

• Lee Ann permalink
      August 19, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi TAK,
      I am thinking that your grandmother was a very good friend of my mother and she was also my godmother. I called her aunt jerry. I have fond memories of visiting the home you talk about. I have pictures of myself as a baby with her in her beautiful home. My mom’s name was Jeanette.

3. March 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Can you confirm if this is still here? I’m coming back from the Philippines and will visit my brother at College near here. I’d like to check this out if it was not demo’d. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

• March 19, 2015 12:56 pm

It should be! But I’m not 100%

• Kate permalink
      April 23, 2015 8:38 pm

It is, just visited a few days ago. Don’t expect to be alone when you go, though! People use it as a drinking/smoking spot pretty often.

• Aidan permalink
        August 19, 2015 7:19 am

I live in shwenksville if u know we’re it is could u help me in directions by showing me were it is on google maps

• April 11, 2016 5:58 am

Do not go here anymore, took 5 steps to the property and got arrested by limerick township police. They put cameras in and have an officer or two there everyday. They don’t let you off with a warning.

• Ryan permalink
        April 19, 2016 3:57 pm

That sucks!!! I was going to go there this weekend thanks for the info any fines?

• Jonah permalink
        August 3, 2016 1:39 am

I snuck in through the woods spent about an hour there before meeting some photographers that told us to leave because they we’re just caught and fined $200

4. Lucas Hellenthal permalink
    November 4, 2015 11:02 pm

I just went to this location today, It was not as good as the pictures. Amazing, and very large, but they took cinder blocks and put them in front of all entrances to all of the buildings. There was a Wildlife Officer patrolling the area, who we ran from after being spotted. It ended up in us getting arrested. Enjoy from photos, would not recommend anymore.

5. Timothy D. Mallon Jr permalink
    January 3, 2016 12:38 pm

To all urban explorers, due to the high crime rate at the industrial park, it is common to see a patrol. I am a local of the town and it is full of junkies and scum. Makes for a great adventure, if you do wish to enter, do so with caution, and recognition of your own free will.

6. Dan Burke permalink
    March 8, 2016 4:27 pm

I remember crawling in one of the big storage vats back in the sixties/seventies when we were kids. Grew up in Parker Ford so you could walk over… we would throw stones inside the vat from the inside and it sounded like the coolest ricochet sound you could imagine. Kinda stupid because we’d find beams on the floor that fell from the ceiling. Dangerous yep thank goodness nobody ever got hurt. cool.

7. nikki beach permalink
    May 3, 2016 9:23 pm

this place is on super lockdown. drove up today from delaware, and seems like civilians are keeping watch on the two easiest places to park near the site. seems best to scope out a place to park and hike around to the plant. too bad. maybe better planning in the future, the photos on this page are breathtaking.

8. July 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Tried to go and explore this place today and there is a serious security detail waiting right in the front entrance in a white pickup truck. :(

9. Johnnessa Kraft permalink
    November 14, 2016 9:05 am

I went here a couple months ago and got neat pictures almost got caught but parked on the side in the little townhouses. multiple residents saw me walk in. the police arrested two people but me and my boyfriend waited til the cops left and got in one building but all the others are locked up havent been there in a long time but glad i got to go before it was completely locked down.

10. Nick Wouldntyouliketoknow permalink
    December 16, 2016 8:13 pm

My wife and I spent a solid 4 hours in here today with no problems at all. No cops or details. We parked down the street behind the pizza shop and walked right in. Got some AMAZING photos and footage. Ran into a few military guys with guns taking cool pix for their Instagram too. It was 20° today, below 0 with the wind. That may have had something to do with it. A good number of the buildings are accessible, lots to see. Please don’t be that guy and ruin it and go spray painting and breaking shit. Happy exploring fellow Urbexers.

11. Connor Harris permalink
    March 4, 2017 3:07 pm

Did you need special permission to go in and take these photos or is the place open. I would love to explore it for myself but I am afraid to take the trip just for trouble

Trackbacks

1. Exploring Limerick, PA’s Abandoned Linfield Industrial Park | ATHENSAF
  2. #StreetsDeptTurns5: The 5 Most Popular StreetsDept.com Posts – Ever! | Streets Dept