Skip to content

Bludee Hale’s “War on Art”

June 29, 2011

IMG_0739IMG_0703IMG_0670IMG_0717

Just got these photos sent in to me by budding street artist Bludee Hale, with this explanation:

My name is Bludee Hale. My partner, Esque Ish, and I are street and installation artists based in Philadelphia. Over the past several months we have taken it upon ourselves to declare a “War on Art”. Let me explain, it seems that now, more than ever, individuals who enjoy art are finding ridiculous meanings and symbolism in modern artistic works that never meant to have that kind of meaning. Our “War” is creating works that are very blunt and meaningless just to prove that people will find a meaning that never existed.

Interesting… What’d you guys think?

12 Comments leave one →
  1. June 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Uggh are those the a-holes who defaced the FMW logo on 2nd street? Not really feeling their whole mission statement.

2. June 30, 2011 2:05 am

Isn’t the availability of interpretation one of the most redeeming qualities of “art”?

3. TREACHEROUS DABZ permalink
    June 30, 2011 11:38 am

corniest shit i ever heard in my life. wannabe street artists with no talent of their own so they hide behind a BULLSHIT mission/artist statement to try and catch some shine off of ACTUAL (street?) artists doing their thing. this city is fucking corny. You wannabe graffiti artist hipsters hide behind the term “street artist” and think just cause you put it on a wall that isnt yours its street art. stay home and feed your fucking cat

4. Justin permalink
    June 30, 2011 5:02 pm

How’s this for a ridiculous meaning: Bludee Hale and Esque Ish are too lazy to take out their own trash so they just throw it out on the street.

5. June 30, 2011 9:31 pm

talentless shitheads.

6. July 2, 2011 3:27 am

Here’s what I think, Art is what you make it to be. “it’s art because I say it is” Just because someone doesn’t happen to share your particular definition of art or your particular vision doesn’t mean they are any less of an artist. I’ve seen some really shitty work on this site, in my opinion, but I still respect that creator as an artist. Look, if you don’t like the work I create, fine, but calling someone talentless or wannabes or anything along those lines means that you only see art from 1 point of view and you are seeing art in a very closed minded way. If you call yourself an artist, you have to be open to all possibilities for where art can come from.

7. July 5, 2011 1:31 pm

enough with the artist statements. Ive studied art for 15 years. I never said it wasnt art. I know very well that anybody can define anything as art and that its their right to do so and by doing so it in turn becomes art yes yes. That doesnt mean that people like yourself dont often abuse that liberty and become lazy in the way they create just to make a statement when you really could have been refining another craft. keep doing your thing. best of luck

8. July 11, 2011 9:41 pm

I don’t think its shit, its just mundane. What I love is when art moves me. Makes me laugh, cry, love it or hate it.

I’d just walk by this and not notice if it weren’t pointed out on here.

9. November 22, 2011 1:43 am

i gotta say most street art is dated and instead of appropriating from other artists so you can evolve its just blatant copying and stagnant. the term artist has become too elastic.

10. joshua koplin permalink
    December 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Um, You guys graffiti’ed the side of my house, I’m a little in the dark about how writing “this is graffiti” on the side of someone’s house is a war on art, or just simpleminded tagging. I looked up your website and originally thought you guys were just a bunch of jocks who wanted to make an irreverent jock joke out of what the modern art scene had become and how really anyone could play and call themselves artists. My brother had a friend who did that, he painted a canvas yellow and hung it up on the wall and used to joke that it was indistinguishable from modern art. Seeing the no talent mr. brainwash run around and act like a jackass and calling himself art probably brings that whole issue into focus. I don’t know which end is up on all of this, and I see your perspective, but I don’t know how what you’re doing is really calling it out into the public sphere effectively. Perhaps I’m just a little annoyed that you painted my house, but who’s really to say. I guess I’m just not in love with art as a medium anymore for real message sending, but I’m not sure it’s ever been one.