Skip to content

Mikael Kennedy Inspired Wheat Pastes Around Town with Paradigm Magazine

January 30, 2012

IMG_1841IMG_1849IMG_1868IMG_1862IMG_1873IMG_1877IMG_1887IMG_1890IMG_1888

So excited about this…

To help celebrate the final show of Polaroid photographer Mikael Kennedy‘s collection “the Odysseus,” Streets Dept partnered up with Paradigm Magazine (the people presenting the show) to paste a series of Mikael’s photos around town… Seriously LOVE this guy’s photos. (God, I need to travel more.)

Come out to the opening reception!!

February 10th, 6pm-9pm
Studio Christensen
333 South 20th street

And check out more photos of our pastings HERE—>

IMG_1917IMG_1921IMG_1942

And I thought I’d just add, those two pastes we covered in the photo above were already covered by a big flyer for a DJ night that happened in December… We wouldn’t just cover someone’s work. It was already really messed up. :(

17 Comments leave one →
  1. ~I(')s~ permalink
    January 30, 2012 7:42 pm

Streets Dept finally acknowledges Harlequinade! When it gets pasted over!

2. January 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Wait… Let me get this straight…. This jawn is about discovering art on the streets of Philly and you fucking BOMB right over it with your piece? I don’t care what was on it first. That’s some rude shit and you should know better. You seriously should be ashamed of yourselves.

If you had any respect whatsoever you would go and showcase Harlequinade’s work as an apology.

Congrats though. You got some web hits. Be proud. Dick. It’s pretty sad too because this could’ve been a dope site.

This isn’t some internet trolling shit either. I’ll tell you exactly who I am.

• January 31, 2012 3:04 pm

Seriously y’all, I’ve spent the last year working on this site. Spending hours upon hours upon hours walking around the streets of Philadelphia, searching for new street art, then spending hours upon hours editing the photos, creating posts, reaching out to the artists to see if it’s ok if I mention their name or link to their site… Look, all I’m trying to get at is I know to not paste over someone’s work. I’m friends with a ton of street artists in Philly, and I’ve gone out on a ton of installs… I pasted over some old shitty DJ night poster. Harlequinade’s stuff is no more covered by our paste then the poster under it.

If I knew this would be such a big thing, I would have taken a before and after.

But yes, to answer your question, I’d love to meet Harlequinade. Go out on an install with him. And talk about his stuff… I’ve talked about his stuff before (albeit, I never knew his name until now) and I really like it. Harlequinade, if you’re reading this, get in touch!

• January 31, 2012 3:09 pm

A before and after would have been smart, at least then you would have visual proof backing you up other than just your word, especially when someones hard-effort work appears to be defaced.

Cause, yknow how trustworthy people are today.

You gotta understand WHY people are upset over this, a lot of them watched it be created from the beginning and observed its progress to its current location, and the latest thing they see is a big advertisement poster over it.

3. January 31, 2012 2:37 pm

WHAT THE FUCK? You put some shitty poster over my friends work that he spent untold amount of hours on? YOU PUT AN ADVERTISEMENT OVER HIS WORK?

And even if there was a flyer up there, it couldn’t have taken more space than your poster did!

Way to disrespect someone’s work while advertising anothers!

• January 31, 2012 2:52 pm

Read what I wrote, man. The poster was already cover where we cover it by like 3 over posters. The top of which was for a DJ night in December… We wouldn’t just cover up someone’s stuff.

• January 31, 2012 3:01 pm

I did, that doesn’t excuse your behavior at all. Why not just put yours somewhere else where there wasn’t others work?

Thats blatant disrespect to another artist, doesn’t matter if someone did it first, you did it too.

• January 31, 2012 3:11 pm

I understand what you’re saying, but I think there’s space to paste over something when it’s so fucked with… That’s kind of the fluid nature of street art, is it not?

Look, either way, you all seem to be really pissed at me, and that sucks, so I won’t cover even the oldest, most fucked with paste, ever again… And, I’m trying to get in touch with Harlequinade too.

Jeez, thanks for all the feedback though. I appreciate it.

4. January 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Bomb the gallery.

5. January 31, 2012 3:35 pm

Don’t treat the streets like some fucking college bulletin board at the common. Just because some dipshit throws up a flyer covering up part of it, doesn’t mean throwing your fucking advertisement over top is somehow making everything better.

As a photographer, I’d rather release my entire stomach contents on that ad than to shoot it. Crazy.

6. January 31, 2012 4:29 pm

The beauty of street art is the fact that IT IS NOT PERMANENT, and the streets are a publicly owned space. I have had pastes covered up before, but I recognize that it’s the nature of the beast. No shit people put a lot of hard work into street art. Why else would they do it if they didn’t love it and put a lot into it. But you can’t expect that your piece is going to remain completely intact forever.

• JMK permalink
      January 31, 2012 7:19 pm

Yes, but you CAN expect other like-minded artists to have some respect, especially for one another. It’s one thing to disrespect a subculture, its another to use that subculture’s medium and aesthetic in order to disrespect it.This is different than whining about getting buffed or cleaned–this is an art organization that, despite the commonality between stated objectives and methods, covers up another’s work with parts of the original sticking out from underneath. This has always been seen as extremely disrespectful gesture in the realm of public art. If you have the audacity to cover someone else’s work, at least cover it completely. To not do so is totally insulting.

• February 1, 2012 10:25 am

Harlequinade posted over my piece in South Philly. I fucking got over it.

• Goes both ways permalink
        February 1, 2012 11:37 am

Pics or it didnt happen.

7. February 1, 2012 7:07 pm

I’m over it! Let’s make more art.

Trackbacks